World Suicide Prevention Day - 10 SeptemberLight a candle in remembrance and hope Donate NowContact Us
Share Your Message of Hope
Iris Foundation has traditionally recognised this day with the annual Tree of Dreams campaign. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year we will instead join people all around the world who are lighting candles to show support for suicide prevention, to remember a loved one lost, and for the survivors of suicide.
Here’s How You Can Participate
• Before September 10, share a message with friends, family, and through social media to raise awareness of the day and event.
• At 8pm on September 10, light a candle (or tea light) near a window.
• Take a picture and share to social media, tagging Iris Foundation with the hashtag #lightacandle so we can share to encourage others to reach out when times are tough.
For those who would like to pen a special message for a loved one they have lost, we have available paper lanterns that can be illuminated with your candle or tea light.
• Size: 15cm x 15cm x 15cm
• Flat packed for ease of writing and posting
• Water-resistant, flame-retardant paper
Click HERE to have your writeable lantern posted to you free of charge, ready for September 10.
How to Support Suicide Prevention Efforts
• By sharing your mental health stories, raising awareness and connecting with your local community, you can help prevent suicide.
• Take proactive steps to safeguard your mental health, encourage help-seeking, and empower your friends, family, and colleagues to support one another in times of crisis.
• Add crisis contact numbers to your phone and encourage loved ones to do the same.
• Reach out to someone you care about who you think may be struggling with their mental health. Visit ROUK? to learn how to start a helpful conversation.
• Support initiatives that ensure everyone has access to mental health care, suicide prevention training, and funding for local crisis resources.
– Lifeline: 13 11 14
– Kids Help Line: 1800 551 800
– Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467
– NSW Mental Health Line: 1800 011 511
– Mensline Australia: 1800 789 978
In 2019, Iris Foundation was proud to host the inaugural River of Reflections event as part of the annual Tree of Dreams awareness campaign.
A crowd of around 100 local people gathered on the banks of Wyong River on September 8. Many wrote messages of hope, support and remembrance on lighted lanterns, which were then released to float peacefully down the river. The group took the opportunity to reflect, talk together, share snacks and hear from speakers with a lived experience of suicide.
Iris Foundation would like to thank local filmmakers Mel and Gerry of Films4Change for their work on our amazing event video.
About Tree of Dreams
The Tree of Dreams® is an annual campaign to raise awareness of suicide prevention on the Central Coast. The campaign works towards heightening awareness of the impact of suicide, and increasing conversations about preventing suicide.
A Suicide-Safer Central Coast
Iris Foundation acknowledges the impact of suicide in our Central Coast community. Through generous donations Iris Foundation can continue to facilitate programs and campaigns which reduce stigma, connect people, foster hope and build resilience – as a means to reducing the risk of suicide. Your donation is valued.
The Tree of Dreams® is situated at the Wyong Milk Factory. In previous years, in the lead up to World Suicide Prevention Day on 10thSeptember, we adorn the tree with hundreds of messages of HOPE – STRENGTH – REMEMBRANCE – SUPPORT collected from people across the Central Coast. The Tree has become a memorable tribute to those we have lost, but also a positive display of hope and support to remind us all to encourage life and reach out to each other when times are tough.
You can email us at email@example.com.